How did this happen?
How did it turn into football season already?
If you know me, you know I always get a little nervous for football season. No, I don’t mean nervous about my boys getting injured or anything like that. Not even about the overbearing parents or youth sport politics. I get nervous about the schedule.
Football is consuming and intense and I worry about myself getting tired and overwhelmed and burnt out . . .
But sitting there, the first day of football season, I realized, if we choose to do this, then it’s going to be what it is and that’s okay. I don’t need to worry–I just need to accept this season.
This football season I will:
- Be tired some nights as I’m running my boys back and forth.
- Have to decide everyday what’s for dinner and when to eat dinner.
- Mistime dinner and end up eating it later than intended.
- Not be able to do other things because I have to get the boys to and from practices.
- Have to coordinate rides for kids because the boys have games that overlap and my other kids have other activities.
- Not coordinate rides until the last minute.
- Feel awkward asking people for rides.
- Feel like I’m the only one who is always doing things last minute.
- Feel a little burnt out at the end of some nights and snap at the kids.
- Feel like there should be 2 or 3 people doing my job instead of just one.
That will all happen.
Knowing and accepting that now, makes me realize that maybe I can handle it after all.
I’ve just gotten to the point where I realize, that messing up is part of the game. And you just dust yourself off and get up and start again. No hard feelings.
I’ve done all this before.
Not always graceful or well but in the end, we always figure it out.
And sometimes I even enjoy parts of it.
So here’s my tribute to football season!